Facebook Badge

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Cincinnati Journal

New Beginnings, Old Friendship

The drive from Chicago to Cincinnati, Ohio, takes about five hours. Estelle and I did the round trip every fortnight when we founded, edited and designed a community newspaper called India Tribune in 1977. Thirty-two years later, I navigated the Dan Ryan Expressway to the Chicago Skyway to get to Interstate 65, the highway that cuts a southeasterly direction through Indiana into southwestern Ohio. The last time I’d driven the route was in 1987, just before we returned to India, when we drove to the East Coast and stopped at the various places we’d lived including Cincinnati.

Twenty-two years later, I still found my way into the city and crossed the bridge over the Ohio River into Kentucky. I was headed to Maysville, a pretty little town on the bank of the mighty river. My friend Yuri always says to me, “When was the last time you did something for the first time?” Well this was a first. As I pulled into the steep driveway that took me down to Elisabeth’s place, I hummed an old Tin Pan Alley song made famous by Duke Ellington: I’m Just a Lucky So-and-So.

Let me explain: I’ve made it a point to look up old friends all over the world. In the process, I’ve found all of my good friends, going back all the way to the 1950s and re-established connections. There’s nothing quite as satisfying as new bonds in old friendships. Elisabeth was our dearest friend when we lived in Cincinnati in the mid-1970s. She had an elegance that could launch a thousand ships. We were smitten by her. For me personally, she was a turning point in my world view. She came from an old wealth Cincinnati family. As such, she was the object of Liberal derision in a discussion at which I was present. The majority seemed to feel Elisabeth’s views were inconsequential because she was of the Establishment. This was at the height of the liberal-conservative polarization in America. Woolly-headed leftist though I was in those days, I found myself springing to her defense.

In many ways that was my turning point. I realized that for all the free love and drugs, the Woodstock generation was not about to change the world as promised. It was then that I began to change from a Liberal to a liberal. The lower-case liberals were more inclusive; the capital-letter ones were every bit as prejudiced as the rednecks that were the targets of their ire

With the Ellington song playing on my lips and these thoughts buzzing in my head, I got out of my car into a fond and long embrace with Elisabeth. When we disengaged, she introduced me to her husband Orloff, a delightful man with varied interests. Their home is a piece of heaven, not just because of the sweeping vistas of the river but for the warmth and comfort it exudes. We sat on the porch drinking scotch and catching up. By the time, we finished dinner all of Kentucky was fast asleep; on our part we squeezed every minute for every second talking and it wasn’t just about the old days.

Among the many things we talked about, there was one distressing note. Elisabeth said that after 1995 through the turn of the century, Cincinnati became a race-troubled city. Apparently, in the period, many young black men were killed by policemen or died in police custody. Things boiled over in 2001, when a white police officer shot and killed a 19-year old black man. In April 2001, the city was paralyzed as riots broke out in the downtown and surrounding areas. The violence continued for five days.

“That’s when we decided to move out of the city,” Elisabeth said. It must have been wrenching. Her family ties to the city are well known and highly respected. In many ways, despite the piece of heaven she now lives in, Elisabeth’s story had the undertones of displacement. And I thought to myself that the uprooting of such a distinguished family from a city of grace and manners was something to regret and lament.

In the end, these turned out to be desultory thoughts. Three decades later, Elisabeth is still as pretty as a picture and as gracious and elegant as when I first met her. It is easy to love her as we did in the 1970s. For myself, I am glad to catch up with her again. The best new beginnings are of old friendship.


Copyright Rajiv Desai 2009

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What I like about your blog is that it is reader-friendly. Thanks for your kind consideration in writing pieces that are easy to read. Writing to communicate is a lost art; these days, people write to impress or sell something you don't need. So, your pieces are a departure from that norm--it is refreshing to come across. However, we want to know what it must have been like living in that era: the chicago and cincinnati of the 70s and 80s. Write more about those experiences, both personal and professional--and don't forget academic experiences. I can only imagine: it must have been an exciting time. People were on the move; things were changing, etc.

Rajiv N Desai said...

Anonymous comments vitiate the spirit of Res Gestae. Though I have much to say in response, I will withhold comment.

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy, I did not mean to vitiate the spirit of your blog. So, kindly forgive me. Let bygones be bygones, as I always say. Also, why are you witholding your comments? Go ahead: that is the purpose of your blog--commentary. Don't forget that. And don't make me sound like a bad guy. I am the good guy. I just don't agree with some of your views/opinions--and that's okay. Feel free to disagree with me too. That's what's called the "democracy of writing." And I just remembered a show titled, "WKRP in Cincinnati" back in the 70s and 80s, which was famous and received great ratings. Do you remember that show, buddy? The TV shows during that era were great; can't say the same for now.
Sincerely,
Joe Six Pack

stacey said...

Yup, and that's the Lord's truth. Despite the propaganda, race and discrimination are real issues here. There ain't no doubt about it. The cincinnati riots received a lot of media attention, but don't forget the smaller sleights of job discrimination, social exlusion, etc. if you are a "person of colour" here. Look at the racist attacks on Indian students in Australia. Anyway, just thought of putting in my two cent's worth, that's all folks.

joe six pack said...

Was drinking beer (Sam Adams lagers) recently with my pot-bellied buddies. We are all old geezers and over the hill types and the conversation turned suddenly nostalgic. And I shared your stories with them (based on your blog write-ups. Man, we remembered a TV show...just got to share with you good folks. Called "The Carol Burnett Show" was very popular during the 70s and 80s in the midwest. The funniest show in town starring Harvey Korman and Vickey Lawrence and supporting crew. Gosh, they were hilarious. Then we got our hands on old tapes and watched those shows the following days and it was a riot. Don't make shows like that no more, that's fur shore. You gotta get your hands on this tv series and watch it with your two daughters and your wife and it is guaranteed to bring tears to your eyes...just don't die laughing. Buddy, I darn well forgot about the crazy antics of "Pink Panther" and "The party."
I would recommend it. Just thought of sharing coz it can bring back fond memories for good ol' rajiv.

John said...

Way to go, Rajiv...hip, hip hooray.
Gosh, personally (don't quote me here)I think this Joe shmoe/sloppy joe or whatever the shmucks name is seems to be a drunken lout (if not a stoner)....from what I have read anyway...but I would have to agree that you paint a rosy picture that ain't true at all. You lack balance in your writing. I don't know Joe and the others who have contributed personally, but their comments are right on the money. There seems to be a lot of despair in America today. Chicago is no longer "my kind of town" like the Frankie Sinatra song. It was different earlier--much better--cleaner, safer, etc.
Maybe you should get out more and interact with people not from your part of town and not from the same class and you'd get a better idea.

Fernando said...

Yeah, right. How come nobody discussed John Denver here. You can't be nostalgic and refer to the 70s without remembering Denver. John passed on...a plane crash...it was a tragic end to a promising career. Today, Denver's music lives on only in the heart's of the few who still remember him. Denver's music was one of a kind. I am not sure, maybe some of you guys and gals know what I am talking about here. Today, John is a forgotten hero, but not for his fans. Just thought of sharing because of this article about the 1970s in the midwest. It was an era that will live on in our memories, but which we can never explain to the new kids on the block. They lack curiosity (based on my conversations with them).